US Sports Net Today!

Live Play-by-Play, Updates, Highlights and More! on US Sports Network!
[Chrome Users-You may have to click on the play button twice to listen]
US Sports Network Powered By Beast Sports Nutrition!

US Sports Radio
The Las Vegas Raiders Play Here
Fitness and Sports Performance Info You Can Use!
The Scoreboard Mall
The Rock Almighty Shaker Of Heaven And Earth!
The Coolest Links In The Universe!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

UDC Men's Basketball Recap

January 9, 2013

District of Columbia Snaps Losing Streak With Come-from-behind, 75-72 Win Over St. Thomas Aquinas

WASHINGTON, DC – The University of the District of Columbia men's basketball team erased a 12-point second half deficit to beat East Coast Conference foe St. Thomas Aquinas, 75-72 on Wednesday night at UDC Gym, thus ending its nine-game losing streak.
The Firebirds improved to 2-10 overall (1-3 ECC) with the win while dropping STAC to 2-10 overall and 2-2 in league play. District of Columbia is now 3-0 in the all-time series against the Spartans.
With a depleted roster of just seven able-bodied players, three Firebird players really carried the load offensively. Senior transfer forward D'Angelo Johnson (Mass Media – Washington, DC/Virginia St.) scored a game-high 22 points, junior transfer guard Ralph Watts (Sociology – Peekskill, NY/UAlbany) registered 21 points and a game-high eight rebounds, and junior transfer point guardQuasim Jones (Business Management – Philadelphia, PA/Johnson CC) added 19 points and a game-high seven assists.
The Spartans were led offensively by Justin Brown and Sam Wilson. Brown tied for the game-high of 22 points on 6-of-7 shooting from the field (3-of-3 from three-point range) and a perfect 7-of-7 at the free-throw line, and Sam Wilson made a game-high five three-pointers to finish with 21 points.
District of Columbia got off to a hot start, claiming early leads of 10-3 and 18-5 before Wilson sparked STAC with two consecutive three-pointers to help them pull within two (23-21) as a result of a 16-5 run. Johnson, who had 18 of his 22 points in the first half, knocked down his second three-pointer of the half with 3:31 to play before halftime to give the Firebirds a 37-30 lead, but a three-point shooting barrage by the Spartans to end the half resulted in the visitors claiming a 44-41 advantage at intermission. Wilson started and ended what amounted to a 14-4 Spartan surge with a pair of three-pointers as he finished with 14 of his 21 in the first frame. The Firebirds out-shot their guests 59-percent to 47-percent from the field, but the Spartans' 9-of-16 (56-percent) three-point shooting gave them a slim lead at the break.
STAC did not let up in the second half, opening the final frame with a 12-3 run (26-7 run to span the halves) to take their largest lead of the night, 56-44 with 14:20 left to play. Quasim Jones stopped the bleeding with a jumper just past the 14-minute mark, and that ignited a 6-0 Firebirds mini-run which cut the deficit in half. However, back-to-back three-pointers by T.J. Jones and Wilson helped STAC re-up its lead to 10 as the game approached the 11-minute mark. Back came the Firebirds though with a 7-0 run, highlighted by a Michael Terry (Criminal Justice – Philadelphia, PA/Boston U) trey, and the Spartans lead was just three with 7:19 left to play.
Still trailing by five (66-61) with just under six minutes in regulation, the Firebirds got back-to-back buckets from Jones and Terry to make it a one-point game at the 4:45 mark. Then, following a layup by STAC's Dane Dixon, Ralph Watts forced just the second tie of the night with an and-one layup with just over three minutes to play. Terry then gave the Firebirds their first lead of the second half with a 1-of-2 trip at the free-throw line at the 2:35 mark, but on the ensuing Spartans possession, Justin Brown gave the visitors back the lead by sinking a pair of free-throws with 2:18 to go. Right back down the floor came District of Columbia, with Terry finding Watts on a beautiful feed for an easy layup to send the Firebirds to a 71-70 lead with just over two minutes remaining.
District of Columbia made things interesting by shooting 4-of-8 from the free-throw line in the final 30 seconds of the game, allowing the Spartans a chance with three seconds remaining, trailing by three.  Fortunately for the Firebirds, sophomore forward Florent Pontens (Business Management – Tarbes, France/Cheshire Academy) intercepted Wilson's pass at midcourt as the Spartans did not even manage a desperation heave in the final seconds.
STAC cooled off dramatically in the second half, shooting just 8-of-27 from the field (30-percent) and 3-of-13 from behind-the-arc (23-percent). The Firebirds out-shot their guests 53-percent to 39-percent from the field for the game and were considerably better in assist-to-turnover ratio (18/7 to 15/11).
Next up, the Firebirds visit league-leading LIU Post on Saturday, January 12th at 3 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment